This article is copyright © Nils Osmar 2020. It’s intended solely for informational purposes. It is not meant to be taken as, and should not be construed, as medical advice. Any changes to your lifestyle or diet should be done in consultation with your doctor or health care professional. Interested in anti-aging? Check out the Facebook Group –– ANTI-AGING THERAPIES.
Many of us are taking NAD boosters such as niacin, Pau D’Arco, NR and NMN, and do things such as exercising and fasting, hoping to raise NAD levels (which decline as people age) and support the sirtuin genes.
All of the above interventions support the sirtuins, though one NAD booster, niacinamide (nicotinamide) appears to depress SIRT1 activity if it builds up in our cells.
In addition to taking dietary supplements, there are several other factors that support the activation of the sirtuin genes. They include:
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
- Fish oil (when given on calorie restricted diets)
- Piceatannol (a naturally occurring analog of resveratrol, often used as a food additive) (also shown to have anti-cancer properties)
- Fisetin (found to enhance long-term memory) (can be taken as a supplement; also found in small amounts in strawberries) (also supports the removal of senescent cells from the body)
- Quercetin (can be taken as a supplement, and is found in apples, tea, onions, citrus fruits, green vegetables and many berries) (has anti-cancer properties) (also supports the removal of senescent cells)
- Resveratrol (can be taken as a supplement, and is found in raspberries, blueberries, grape skins, peanuts and some pine trees) (anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-mutagenic)
- My own strategy to support my sirtuins is to take NMN along with Pau D’Arco tea and resveratrol, and eat lots of berries, along with apples and some green vegetables.
- Many people on calorie restricted (high nutrient) diets start the day with a huge bowl of the berries listed above.
- Source: DIETARY ACTIVATORS OF SIRT1 GENES.
To learn more, click the links below:
- EATING FOR LONGEVITY – What to eat to lengthen your lifespan and protect the health of your brain. CLICK HERE.
- EXERCISE AND OTHER STRESSORS. How to use HIIT exercise, red light therapy, and extremes of hot and cold to support mitochondria and raise NAD levels.
- TAKING SUPPLEMENTS FOR LONGEVITY – which ones to take. CLICK HERE