Learn voice acting online in a friendly and supportive environment
Sign up now for the June 2022 class:
Class 163297: VOICEOVER 101 - Online Class
Saturdays 10 a.m.-12 p.m. PST
June 4, 11, 18, and 25 (four meetings)
Tuition: $150 + $10 reg. fee
This is an ONLINE Voice Over Acting class. The instructor will contact students with a Zoom link, and with an ASSIGNMENT you'll be asked to do before the first class. To give yourself time to complete it, we recommend registering at least 24 hours before the first meeting.
Sign up now for the June 2022 class:
- Looking for an ONLINE VOICEOVER CLASS taught by an established professional voice actor?
- A class which is based in Seattle but can be taken from anywhere where there’s an internet connection?
- In this helpful introductory class, you’ll learn about the real world of voice acting, including how to have the best odds of making it in the business.
- “This was a well rounded class that provided a great introduction to the voice over industry including home studio equipment, conducting business, style and genres, script analysis, and practice. It’s perfect for someone completely new to the field. Sean is a great coach and instructor who has industry experience and is great at identifying and improving your individual strengths and styles.” –S. Roe
- “Sean Daeley’s Voice Over 101 class was excellent! He provided a lot of information about how to get started in Voice Over, and taught fundamentals about each different genre of Voice Over. His coaching was outstanding, giving clear advice about how to sound more natural and engaging.” – J. Hamilton
- “This is a great introduction to voice over. Not only did the instructor, Sean, provide excellent overview of the industry and genres, we had plenty of time to work with the material and receive personal coaching feedback. Definitely recommended.” – S. Near
- Sean is an excellent instructor, and he clearly cares about helping people. He sent us long, thoughtful emails when we asked him for help outside of class, and he often went over our class time to ensure everyone could have a chance to perform. He also helped the class feel like a safe, judgement-free environment to perform in,which is a big deal for someone like me with almost no performance background. I\recommend him enthusiastically. – R. Klein
- I really enjoyed VO101 and I’m looking forward to learning even more in VO102. Sean is a great instructor! He is very patient and helpful and his critiques really help you be a better voice actor. When I needed help outside of class with what audio equipment to purchase Sean sent a lengthy email and answered all my questions. He also provided us with documents that had mentors, equipment based on price, basically a full guide on how to pursue this and that was really valuable! He also never rushed anyone in the performance section of class and always made sure everyone had the same amount of time and attention. – B. Williams
Advantages of learning online
- In light of recent events, we have made changes to accommodate those interested in our voice acting course by moving it completely online.
- Online Voice Acting Instruction is actually very popular with potential students, as it allows them access to industry experts outside their immediate area.
- Also, since a number of Voice Acting jobs are conducted from home studios, this provides the perfect practice for working from home for students interested in pursuing professional work.
- Classes will be held through the Zoom web conferencing app. Zoom is free and easy-to-use, and you can learn more about how to get set up using the details beneath the course description:
In this class you’ll learn:
- How to create characters for commercials, narration, animation.
- How to train your voice with articulation exercises and warm-ups.
- How to analyze a script to identify audience and context.
- How to communicate emotions.
- How to engage with your audience.
- How to self-direct.
- How to identify your vocal type.
NEW TO ZOOM?
Watch this step-by-step guide to attending a Zoom class or webinar. Then read the info below the video.
- Good internet connection: If possible, use a hardwired connection versus Wi-Fi.
- Unless you are sitting right next to your router, Wi-Fi tends to become unreliable and can cause unfortunate interruptions during class.
- Rekindle School is not responsible for any technical issues or spotty video due to poor internet connectivity.
- However, if you do run into technical issues, our enrollment policy allows you to make up a missed class session the next time it is offered.
- Headphones – Prevents feedback (echo) into your mic.
- Mic – Any mic will work, even the headset that comes with your phone. As long as we can hear you. :)
- Webcam – Make sure that you have a functioning webcam. This may already be built in to your computer, or you can purchase one separately online or at an electronics store.
- You may also attend a Zoom class on your mobile phone or tablet.
- Not sure on start time? Check your Time Zone: If you’re in a different time zone other than PST or EST, you can check your time zone for the appropriate class start time here.
- When you are not doing a read, please ensure your mic is on mute. That way, you can practice your lines (or blow your nose, or talk to your dog) without interrupting your fellow classmate. :)
- Class Recording Policy – All group classes are recorded for student, staff, and instructor review. Each class is recorded, uploaded to our Vimeo account, and a private link and password will be emailed to you after class each week.
- All class recordings will remain available up to 30 days after the final class.
- We encourage you to take your own notes and you may record your own audio from your computer during class time.
- Please be aware that all classes are CONFIDENTIAL.
- Please respect your classmates along with Rekindle School intellectual property by not posting ANY MATERIAL FROM CLASS to the internet.
- This applies to sharing curriculum notes with any other sources.
- Recordings are for personal use and study purposes only.
- Please be prompt for class and feel free to login early.
- The classroom will be opened at least 15 minutes prior to class start time to allow everyone to trickle in.
- If you have any questions, please email email@example.com. Your email will be forwarded to the instructor.
About the instructor
- Sean is a Seattle-based voice talent with over seven years of experience creating voiceovers for Commercials, Corporate Narrations, Audiobooks, Guided Tours, eLearning modules, and video games.
- He is frequently cast as teachers, doctors, and executives, and even the occasional prince!
- With his Educational and Performance backgrounds, Sean marries his love of the written word with an honest desire to connect with his audience through effective communication and impactful performances.
- This experience has proven invaluable in his work as the Manager of the Global Voice Acting Academy’s Membership Program, where he helps GVAA’s members receive the resources and support they need to reach their own voiceover goals.
There’s acting in person, on stage or in front of the camera – and then there’s voice acting. Voice acting is the art of doing voice-over work on a wide range of features such as TV shows and feature films, animated shorts, commercials, radio plays, documentaries, video games and more.
In voice acting, the actor’s face never appears on screen, but he or she has the opportunity to create a character and make a connection with the audience using only vocals. An actor might be twenty, forty, or sixty years old, but using your voice you can create a character of any age, nationality or species.
You can use your voice to create characters who are svelte and frumpy, attractive or repulsive, hopeless or sexy, young or old, funny or dramatic. Voice acting is fun, and a great way for actors to improve their general acting skills on and off the screen. Most students in our voiceover classes are adults. Our online voiceover classes are the perfect way to start learning and improving your voice acting skills.
STUDENT COMMENTS about our ACTING CLASSES
I’d like to thank you. After taking your (Beginning Acting and Let’s Make a Movie) classes last year, I now have had two acting gigs. One in a movie called Sideways Japan… it was a Fox production… and I was in a commercial in Hollywood, that was a Time Warner production. The reel we made (in the Let’s Make a Movie class) was very useful helping me perform in front of camera and the fact (that I was) comfortable in front of camera got me the gigs.
Tell everyone to not give up and give it your all if you want to make it. It was a slow start, but now I’m living in L.A. and loving it. Thanks again, your classes are good. – K. S. (Hollywood)
Hello Nils, I played Weasel and The Executioner in your movie Liberation… I also took the Let’s Make a Movie class with you few years ago. I hope you are doing great and finding time to make movies.
I just wanted to thank you for having me in your movies and teaching me! I am now a full time actor in LA. Thank you and have a great 2017 full of creative films!
– Deja Soufka Actor/Director
…I wanted to say thank you for your help and guidance in the early stages of my acting career. It has been a great journey that started in your beginning acting class. I am happy to report that I just met a very awesome goal. I will be a day actor in the TV series Grimm this week. It was your coaching that set and codified the foundation that helped get me where I am today. Thank you so much for your help.
If you would like to, please feel free to share my story with your other students and on the website. Best wishes and with my sincerest gratitude, Joey Coverson
After just 2 classes with Nils, I auditioned for an independent film against actors with many years experience and I got the part. Nils teaches confidence and he freely shares his knowledge of the acting. – Robert C., Actor (Hollywood)
I really think you are a great instructor, and you seem to have a genuine interest in and enjoy helping people develop their skills. And it was fun! – Pritam (Seattle)
Hey Nils, thanks for the class – had a really good time this quarter. I really came at the class from the direction of directing. I had successfully directed two plays back in Britain, but I always felt that I was on shaky ground when I tried to give advice to actors that went beyond “okay, say it louder this time.” There’s nothing that makes you feel a fraud quicker than standing up in front of lots of people who look to you for advice and not having any to give.
The class definitely helped… I really enjoyed the improv element of the class. It always felt like just one step away from playing a childish game, which I always enjoy. It was also great to have a chance to work on a monologue with you, especially in front of a small, friendly audience. Your advice on the ‘business’ side of acting was also very useful. – Cheers, Mark (Seattle and London)
A week after your class (I) went to my very first audition! Talk about absolute terror. I did the same monologue I did in class, and guess what? I got offered not only one role, but two roles from two different directors, from that one petrified , shaking monologue, on my very first audition! I was shocked…I couldn’t have done it without your great class. Thanks! – Randy T. (Seattle)
Hi Nils, I just wanted to thank you for a great class last night! Clearly, people were a little nervous about getting up to perform their monologues, but you have fostered a very supportive environment which makes it much easier to get up there. I think you did an excellent job at figuring out how to help each individual to take the next step with their piece, despite a wide range of skill levels. I’m looking forward to next week! – Marnie M. (Kirkland)
Hi Nils, I want to thank you for inspiring me to follow me dreams. I left Washington. I am down in California. I have started a television production company and I auditioned for a Harley Davidson Commercial yesterday as an actor. Everything is moving at light speed…and in a positive direction. It all started with you in that classroom at the U of W. – Robert C., Hollywood
VOICE OVER CLASSES FROM REKINDLE:
- VOICE OVER 101
- VOICE OVER 102
- VOICE OVER 103
- VOICE OVER 104
- WEBINAR 1: VOICE OVER CAREERS
- WEBINAR 2: VOICE OVER HOME STUDIO BASICS
- WEBINAR 3: SELF-MARKETING FOR VOICE OVER ACTORS