- Our Acting classes are held in Seattle, Washington. Locations include the University of Washington campus (Seattle branch); Phinney Neighborhood Center; and Sunset Hill Community Clubhouse (in Ballard).
- NOTE: Our in-person classes are back! King County is no longer requiring face masks or proof of vaccination for classes in Seattle. If you’d like to wear a mask, it’s fine to do so. But it’s fine to go mask-free if you’d like.
I’d like to thank you. After taking your (Beginning Acting and Let’s Make a Movie) classes last year, I now have had two acting gigs. One in a movie called Sideways Japan… it was a Fox production… and I was in a commercial in Hollywood, that was a Time Warner production. The reel we made (in the Let’s Make a Movie class) was very useful helping me perform in front of camera and the fact (that I was) comfortable in front of camera got me the gigs.Tell everyone to not give up and give it your all if you want to make it. It was a slow start, but now I’m living in L.A. and loving it. Thanks again, your classes are good. – K. S. (Hollywood)
Hello Nils, I played Weasel and The Executioner in your movie Liberation… I also took the Let’s Make a Movie class with you few years ago. I hope you are doing great and finding time to make movies.I just wanted to thank you for having me in your movies and teaching me! I am now a full time actor in LA. Thank you and have a great 2017 full of creative films!– Deja Soufka Actor/Director
…I wanted to say thank you for your help and guidance in the early stages of my acting career. It has been a great journey that started in your beginning acting class. I am happy to report that I just met a very awesome goal. I will be a day actor in the TV series Grimm this week. It was your coaching that set and codified the foundation that helped get me where I am today. Thank you so much for your help. If you would like to, please feel free to share my story with your other students and on the website. Best wishes and with my sincerest gratitude, Joey Coverson
After just 2 classes with Nils, I auditioned for an independent film against actors with many years experience and I got the part. Nils teaches confidence and he freely shares his knowledge of the acting. – Robert C., Actor (Hollywood)
I really think you are a great instructor, and you seem to have a genuine interest in and enjoy helping people develop their skills. And it was fun! – Pritam (Seattle)Hey Nils, thanks for the class – had a really good time this quarter. I really came at the class from the direction of directing. I had successfully directed two plays back in Britain, but I always felt that I was on shaky ground when I tried to give advice to actors that went beyond “okay, say it louder this time.” There’s nothing that makes you feel a fraud quicker than standing up in front of lots of people who look to you for advice and not having any to give.The class definitely helped… I really enjoyed the improv element of the class. It always felt like just one step away from playing a childish game, which I always enjoy. It was also great to have a chance to work on a monologue with you, especially in front of a small, friendly audience. Your advice on the ‘business’ side of acting was also very useful. – Cheers, Mark (Seattle and London)
A week after your class (I) went to my very first audition! Talk about absolute terror. I did the same monologue I did in class, and guess what? I got offered not only one role, but two roles from two different directors, from that one petrified , shaking monologue, on my very first audition! I was shocked…I couldn’t have done it without your great class. Thanks! – Randy T. (Seattle)
Hi Nils, I just wanted to thank you for a great class last night! Clearly, people were a little nervous about getting up to perform their monologues, but you have fostered a very supportive environment which makes it much easier to get up there. I think you did an excellent job at figuring out how to help each individual to take the next step with their piece, despite a wide range of skill levels. I’m looking forward to next week! – Marnie M. (Kirkland)Hi Nils, I want to thank you for inspiring me to follow me dreams. I left Washington. I am down in California. I have started a television production company and I auditioned for a Harley Davidson Commercial yesterday as an actor. Everything is moving at light speed…and in a positive direction. It all started with you in that classroom at the U of W. – Robert C., Hollywood
ACTING CLASSES – FAQ
- Which classes should I take first? ANSWER: If you’re new to acting or returning to it after a long break, start with ACTING 101.
- Have you had students who’ve gone on to work in Hollywood movies, or on mainstream television? ANSWER: Yes. We’ve have had some students over the years who found work acting in movies, television shows and commercials (including major national commercials) in Hollywood and other places. We credit their success to their own hard work, and are proud that they started the journey through our program.
- What if I want to take classes just for fun? I just want to try something fun and different! ANSWER: Sure, that’s fine. Whatever your reason for signing up, you’ll have fun and learn a lot.
- I want to be able to speak in front of big audiences without freaking out. Will taking acting classes help? ANSWER: Everyone is different, but many people have reported that acting classes can be helpful in getting over that sort of stage fright. Part of it is that in an acting class, you get a lot of experience getting up in front of a group, so being up in front of people in other situations starts to feel easier and more natural. We’ve had students who were shy about getting up in front of people, who told us they were much more comfortable and confident in that kind of situation after taking a few acting classes
- What should I wear to class? ANSWER: Just wear something loose and comfortable that you can move freely in. Anything is fine.
- Is Rekindle School part of the Experimental College? ANSWER: We’re affiliated with them under the same “business umbrella.” We handle their registrations. That’s why the same classes can be found on their website, and on ours.
- Is your program accredited? (Will I be earning college credit?) ANSWER: No, our classes are not-for-credit. This means that the focus is on having fun and learning, rather than on tests or grades.
- In sum – if you’re looking for fun, affordable classes and workshops in Seattle that offer high quality instruction — if you’re ready to move a little out of your comfort zone and have fun exploring other characters and situations — if you’d like to discover what acting’s all about, in a safe supportive environment — our Seattle acting classes are a good place to start.
- There’s an old saying that “You learn to act by acting.” Our classes are designed to reflect this, and give students in Seattle both exposure to the theory and information they need to develop their acting skills, and an opportunity to perform scenes and exercises in class, in front of other students.