Driving directions to South Campus Center from I-5:
MAPS: Click on the MAP ICONS below to view full size:
DIRECTIONS TO SOUTH CAMPUS CENTER (corrected):
COMING FROM I-5:
Driving north or south on Interstate-5:
- Take exit 169, the NE 45th Street/University of Washington exit…
- … If you were coming from the south (driving northbound on I-5), turn RIGHT onto 45th.
- … If you were coming from the north (driving southbound on I-5), turn LEFT onto 45th.
- You will now be heading eastbound, toward the U.W. campus.
- Drive for a half mile or so, then turn RIGHT onto 15th Avenue N.E.
- Drive south for about 7 blocks.
- Cross Pacific street.
- Just after you cross Pacific, turn LEFT onto NE Boat Street (which becomes Columbia road)
- Stop at the parking gate (Gate 6) to buy a parking permit. Just tell the person at the gate you’re going to the South Campus Center, and they can direct you for parking. Most visitors just park in front of the building and go in the main doors.
Directions to South Campus Center coming from the east via State Route 520
- From State Route 520, take the Montlake Boulevard ext.
- Turn right and continue north on Montlake Boulevard crossing the drawbridge.
- Turn left (west) onto NE Pacific Street at the first traffic light after the drawbridge.
- Continue west on NE Pacific Street to 15th Avenue NE and turn left (south).
- At the bottom of 15th Avenue NE bear left onto NE Boat Street. Travel a short distance on Boat St. onto Columbia Road.
- The campus gatehouse (Gate #6) will be straight ahead. Continue to Gate #6 and stop there for directions and a parking permit.
IMPORTANT: The South Campus Center is open till 10 p.m. but the front doors lock at 7 p.m. So it’s important to arrive before 7. If you arrive late and find the front door locked, there will be a special door you can use to get in, but to save yourself the hassle, please arrive before 7. See bottom of this page for more information.
Using a G.P.S.?
Don’t rely totally on your GPS! Most of the buildings on the UW campus don’t have physical street addresses, so students who rely on a GPS often have problems. If you use a GPS, it will probably just take you to the edge of the campus, but not to the actual building.
Fees for parking on campus:
On evenings (after 5 p.m.), and on Saturdays from 9 a.m. till noon, it costs $5 to park on the U.W. campus. You pay the fee as you drive onto the campus, and get a parking permit to put in your window. Ask to park in the parking lots listed above if possible (C-12, C-15 and C-17).
Parking is also free on Sundays (all day)
Parking is free on Saturdays after noon.
Don’t want to pay for parking?
If you would like to avoid paying for parking, I recommend coming over early, finding the building, then driving off campus and finding a place to park and walking to the building.
Whether you decided to park on campus (and pay for parking) or park off campus (and walk to the building), I recommend coming over early the first day, to give yourself time to find the building, etc.
IMPORTANT: WHAT TO DO IF BUILDING IS LOCKED!
The class starts at 7 p.m.
The building locks at 7 p.m.
This means that if you get there late, the doors will all be locked. (The building is open but the doors are locked.) If this happens, and you get locked out, one door will be open (on the nights of the class). The unlocked door can be accessed through the second floor of the parking garage beneath the building (the S1 parking garage)
To find this door: as you are facing the front of the building, you will see some stairs on the right hand side of the building. Go down these stairs to the 2nd floor of the parking garage.
To avoid all of this hassle, I would recommend getting there a little early.